7 Reasons Coconut Oil Should Be Your New Skin Moisturizer

11399276-coconut-oilI was first introduced to the amazing benefits of coconut oil when I began learning more about the raw food diet several years ago. I still remember buying my first jar of unrefined coconut oil, bringing it home, grabbing a spoon, tasting it and thinking, Yum, I like this! I could definitely eat this everyday.

Not before too long, I was adding coconut oil to my daily green smoothies, using it in place of olive oil in my cooking and butter in my baking and of course, using it in many of my raw food recipes. I was going through jars like it was my job! So, I started buying bigger jars and I started using coconut oil outside of the kitchen, and I found that I absolutely loved it for skin care. I became obsessed! Plus, I started saving lots of money because I was no longer buying expensive, chemical-filled body lotions.

Here are a couple of quick health benefits of coconut oil (there are many more details about the health benefits, and this is just meant to be a quick reference):

1. Coconut oil is a medium-chain fatty acid (MCFA) which means when it enters into the body it is easily digested and sent right to the liver for instant energy production, making coconut oil a great source of the necessary, healthy fat that the body needs.

2. Coconut oil is an abundant, natural source of lauric acid (breastmilk is the only other source). Lauric acid, when present in the body is converted to monolaurin. Monolaurin is a compound that is strong it’s ability to ward off and fight unwanted viruses, bacteria, funguses and other microorganisms in a non-toxic way. Coconut oil has strong, amazing antimicrobial, antibacterial and antifungal properties.

Coconut oil has hundreds of uses and benefits, and I will definitely share more of them over time on this blog. But, one of the easiest and in my opinion, most enjoyable ways to use coconut oil is as a natural, safe and highly beneficial skin moisturizer and conditioner.

Remember your skin is your largest organ and what you put on it goes directly into the blood stream and travels through your entire body. I love the rule: IF YOU WOULDN’T EAT IT, DON’T PUT IT ON YOUR SKIN. Definitely something to think about, hey?

It’s important that you use unrefined, organic, fresh-pressed coconut oil. There are several great brands, and I like to use Dr. Bronner’s.

In the meaning time, here are seven, wonderful reasons why it’s great to use coconut oil as the new skin lotion for you and your entire family:

1. The medium-chain triglycerides present in coconut oil deeply penetrate the skin for great moisturizing without leaving you feeling greasy and slimy

2. Coconut oil screens 20% of the ultraviolet exposure, providing natural sun protection

3. Coconut oil leaves a protective barrier against environmental and free radial damage on your skin

4. Coconut oil’s anti-oxidant, antibacterial and antimicrobial richness make it a wonderful anti-aging moisturizer and sickness-keeper-awayer (technical, yes, I know!)

5. It contains plenty of vitamin E to aid in my recovery of skin damage such as burns, cuts, scars, etc.

6. Coconut oil is gentle and safe enough to use on babies and children. Plus, it’s okay if they get a little into their mouths, which I find Turner does all the time because he loves the taste. Due to it’s skin-repairing properties, coconut oil makes a great diaper rash lotion

7. If you’re pregnant, coconut oil is a fantastic stretch-mark preventer and a great way to avoid the itch of the stretching skin of your belly

Now, does your daily lotion do that? :-)

Using coconut oil in the bathroom is super simple. Coconut oil has a high melting point (76-78 degrees Fahrenheit) which means it is solid at room temperature (unless you live somewhere very warm). It is easier and nicer to use coconut oil as a skin moisturizer when it is melted into a liquid. And here’s how to do it:

1. Keep a little jar of coconut oil and a little ceramic bowl in our bathroom.

2. In the summer months, you can simply keep the small jar in a corner of the shower and let the combined heat of the steam and of the weather melt the coconut oil into a usable consistency.

3. During the winter, when was it’s too cool to use the shower technique, simply spoon out a tablespoon or so of the solid coconut oil into a small bowl and place it in a shallow pool of warm water in your bathroom sink to let it melt. TIP: I usually do this before I get in the shower, so that by the time I get out, the coconut oil has melted.

Once you gently towel dry your body, and while it is still damp and moist, massage the coconut oil into your skin from head to toe. You’ll love the scent and the soft feeling it gives your skin. Enjoy!!

If you’re a coconut oil user for your skin care, do you have any additional tips or advise to add? Please share in the comment box below.

Thanks for reading and happy coconut oil using!
In living life,

Leah

, , ,

130 Responses to 7 Reasons Coconut Oil Should Be Your New Skin Moisturizer

1. Sharla Mulhern January 30, 2013 at 2:03 pm #

I have recently discovered coconut oil myself and love it! I did not know it was so good for babies! Thank you

• Leah Stewart February 1, 2013 at 8:20 am #

Sharla – Yes, it’s awesome for babies! Gentle and effective, plus it leaves their skin smelling a mixture of their own sweet sense with a little bit of the tropics. I hope that you enjoy using the coconut oil!

Leah

• tony barry October 24, 2013 at 5:33 pm #

coconut oil on your face clogs your pores and can cause acne. it took me years to discover the cause of my facial acne !!! note that it seems good on the rest of the body.

• Leah Stewart October 30, 2013 at 3:05 pm #

Tony,

It’s possible. It’s depends on the individual, their skin type, diet, etc, etc. For many coconut oil is great, but yes, some can have an adverse reaction and should omit use and explore other options.

Glad you discovered that coconut oil wasn’t working for you. What do you use now?

• Lis November 12, 2013 at 8:17 pm #

Yes, I agree. I use coconut oil among other things to help control my complexion, and it works well. I make sure to use unhydrogenated, unprocessed, hexane free, etc. Sorry to hear it doesn’t work for Tony.

• Nicole December 9, 2013 at 2:08 am #

My acne dissapeared when I use it morning and night :/ I wash my face with water, then use applecider vinigear and then coconut oil and my skin is acne free now and glowing

• Elle January 13, 2014 at 4:45 pm #

I am really interested in your use of applecider vinigear. I have horrible skin and have just started using coconut oil in my routine. It seems to be helping on certain areas more than other. Can I ask how you use the vinigear on your skin?

• timiko January 5, 2014 at 11:45 pm #

Coconut oil has never clogged my pores. Perhaps it is due to my dry skin, however, I have never met anyone in my personal life that has had this issue. I live in Japan which may have a different effect. It is humid here, and maybe my skin is used to it.

• Leah Stewart January 17, 2014 at 1:53 pm #

Timiko,

I feel that most people have a positive reaction to using coconut oil, but yes, everybody’s body is different and some may not respond quite as well.

• shorty May 29, 2014 at 2:32 am #

Coconut oil good head to toe..it might be somethung else,cause my face oily..coconut oil makes mune soft ni breakouts

• shorty May 29, 2014 at 2:33 am #

Mine. Lol

• rina January 7, 2014 at 1:10 pm #

It’s a good lice repellent as well I grew up in the Philippines and as a Children we used to get lice infestation and coconut oil is a good and safe way to use to get rid of the infestation. It also makes your hair super healthy.

• Leah Stewart January 17, 2014 at 1:48 pm #

Great tip, Rina! Especially for those with children in elementary school.

2. Lehua January 30, 2013 at 2:17 pm #

I love coconut oil too. I keep a small jar in the shower as well,and after I’ve squeegeed, there is just enough moisture on my skin to lock in the coconut oil. I have also found it to be the BEST eye makeup remover ever. No more leftover mascara or tight eyelids. I love Tropical Traditions brand which I buy online in large jars. They have great deals. And Kiana already knows what to do when she gets a cut. She says, coconut!

• Leah Stewart February 1, 2013 at 8:22 am #

Hi Lehua!

Sounds like we have the same technique of putting the jar in the shower ;-) Yes, it is a great eye makeup remover, too! Plus, conditioner for the lashes and fine lines around the eyes ;-)

I haven’t tried Tropical Traditions, although I’ve heard good things about it!

So cute about Kiana!!

Lots of love to you!

Leah

• Kate July 18, 2013 at 7:06 pm #

Love coconut oil! I use 4 parts coconut oil 1 part castor oil for oil cleansing on my face. Be careful though! Getting oil in your eyes is known to cause cataracts. I wouldn’t put it on or around my eyes or eyelashes.

• Leah Stewart July 18, 2013 at 7:33 pm #

Kate – yes, I use it in a cleanser as well :-) I love oil cleansing!

• Jess April 11, 2014 at 9:16 pm #

Kate, I have been using 2 parts olive oil 1 part castor oil for my face for a couple of months now and it is AMAZING! I’ve had everyone in my family try it and after they do it they see a difference and love it! i really want to try with coconut oil because i don’
          t like the smell of olive oil! hope it works!

• Leah Stewart April 21, 2014 at 1:01 pm #

Jess – How wonderful that you have shared your success with oil cleansing with your entire family!! I love it! Yes, try the coconut oil and see how you like it. I’ve experimented with a lot of variations of oil combination for cleansing (coconut oil, olive oil, argan oil, hazelnut oil, castor oil, etc). To date, my favorite basic recipe for my skin is equal parts olive and coconut oils, 1/2 – 1 part castor oil (depending on how dry the weather and my skin are) and several drops of frankincense oil. But, I’m always trying new combinations – I just love it ;-) Let me know how you enjoy the coconut oil.

3. Marlayna January 31, 2013 at 1:08 pm #

Perfect timing, Leah! I have a girlfriend who’s about ready to give birth and she just asked me if it was OK to use coconut butter on her baby’s skin for winter dryness and diaper rash! I just passed this along and so hopefully she’ll love the encouragement! :)

• Leah Stewart February 1, 2013 at 8:27 am #

Perfect! Thank you for passing along the information and I’m sending wonderful birthing and new motherhood wishes to your friend ;-)

Leah

4. TeresaPraasterink March 23, 2013 at 10:12 am #

We make hard lotion bars withe equal parts coconut oil, organic shea butter, and beesewax with a little essential oil of your choice. We loooove it!

• Leah Stewart March 23, 2013 at 1:56 pm #

Sounds wonderful, Teresa! Homemade soap is the best!

5. Antonella March 29, 2013 at 9:02 am #

Thank you so much! My (very dry) skin just loves it! And I will definitly try it as a eye makeup remover :-)

• Leah Stewart March 29, 2013 at 9:10 am #

Antonella,

So glad that you are enjoying the coconut oil as a moisturizer ;-) Yes, try it as an eye makeup remover, works like a charm. Thanks for commenting!

Leah

6. Janice April 4, 2013 at 5:15 pm #

It also works great at getting rid of my baby’s cradle cap. Just gently massage it into your baby’s scalp (and anywhere else the cradle cap has spread). Let it sit for at least 20 minutes then use a baby comb or brush to comb/brush away the flakes. I also am currently nursing so I add it to my oatmeal in the morning to help with my milk production and make the oatmeal nice and creamy.

• Leah Stewart April 5, 2013 at 9:26 am #

Janice,

Yes, coconut oil is great for cradle cap. Great suggestion to share on the blog – thank you so much!

I’ve added to my oatmeal too, I love the creaminess and the flavor as well ;-)

Thank you for commenting!

Leah

7. Sara August 4, 2013 at 10:23 am #

Hi,
    Been using virgincoconut oil as my face moisturizer twice a day for over a week and works great! However been reading up that after a month or so, it’ll cause cystic acne even after clearing up your skin for a month. Have you had any experience with that? Apparently it works great for awhile then turns really bad after

• Leah Stewart August 9, 2013 at 6:37 am #

Sara,

No, I have not had any experience with adverse effects from using coconut oil. I know for some it may be a bit too heavy and greasy feeling. Everybody’s skin is so different, the environment we live in, diet, stress, etc, etc all play such a huge role in our complexion. Trial and error until we find the right fit for us.

I hope that you continue to enjoy coconut oil with success :-)

• Rachel November 23, 2013 at 8:33 am #

Aww man.. I was planning on making a trip to Target today to grab some for myself. I have horribly dry skin on my face, which tends to flake, and have only heard great things about this natural product. Absolutely NO other moisterizers have done the trick for me. Ughh.. I HATE HAVING dry patches on my my face, not to mention everytime I even touch my face it disgusts me bc I can feel these tiny bumps that I don’t know how to get rid of.. Now ive only been having these issues over the past few months, so hopefully it goes away with time. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

8. Kim Isaksen August 11, 2013 at 9:08 am #

Hi Leah!

I bought the organic refined coconut oil (whole foods) and it doesn’t have any hint of coconut smell. What kind or brand do you recommend?

• Leah Stewart August 12, 2013 at 10:03 am #

Kim – I would recommend using an unrefined, virgin, fresh-pressed coconut oil. Some do smell more coconut-y that others, it’s definitely a personal preference on whether that nice or not :-)

I’ve used Dr Bonner’s and Aunt Patty’s coconut oil and have liked them. At the moment, I am using Tropical Traditions, which is very nice.

9. linda obi August 15, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

I use coconut oil,and it was so lovely on my skin,but am consigned about it reaction to the skin. I want to know if it darkens the skin or is just ok for the skin?

• Leah Stewart August 26, 2013 at 2:38 pm #

Linda,

I’m glad to hear that you enjoy using coconut oil on your skin. I have not heard about coconut oil darkening the skin, but I do know that some people do not prefer it because on the oily feeling it leaves them with. Of course, it would merit more research into coconut oil for skin care, but I have not heard of this at this point.

Thanks!

Leah

10. Senga August 30, 2013 at 7:35 pm #

Hi Leah

I have enjoyed reading your segment and can suggest another use for coconut oil. I use half a teaspoon of coconut oil and half a cup of boiling water and use as a mouth wash but make sure the water is not too hot. I also find this helps if you have a cough.

• Leah Stewart September 3, 2013 at 10:52 am #

Senga,

Another great suggestion for coconut oil, thanks!! Glad you enjoyed the post.

Leah

11. Tanya September 9, 2013 at 5:30 am #

Hi, I’m sure you have seen many Indian Ladies with thick, long black hair and the reason for this is COCO-NUT OIL…. My mum used to soak our hair with it on a Friday night and make sure it was kept tied up and we used to wash it out on Sunday’s so it would set :)

• Leah Stewart September 14, 2013 at 10:08 am #

Tanya,

Yes, I have an Indian friend that has used coconut oil for hair conditioning for years, and her hair is lovely :-) I just love coconut oil’s versatility. Thank you so much for sharing this great use for coconut oil :-)

12. Schaunon September 15, 2013 at 1:21 pm #

I keep a glass jar or org coconut oil in my bathroom… when in liquid form, I put lemongrass essential oil in it and then stir it up. Lemongrass is supposed to be good for your skin as well.

Since it is in a jar, I just fill up the sink with hot water, hop in the shower, then it’s melted enough to use as an all-over body lotion.

I’m wondering how it would be to put the oil and sugar together as a body scrub?

13. Laura September 26, 2013 at 7:12 pm #

For those who don’t appreciate the oily feel on their skin, I recommend using less oil (it really takes very little to cover your face), and using it at night right before bed. The oil soaks in over night and you don’t feel oily in the morning at all. I would not recommend for oily skin, of course…but for 44 year old skin – it seems to be working very well. Plus…my husband always says I smell nice when I kiss him goodnight :)

• Leah Stewart October 5, 2013 at 4:31 pm #

14. Beth October 8, 2013 at 9:44 am #

I’ve heard it’s good as a headlice treatment as well

15. Mama Lou October 18, 2013 at 6:37 am #

I find trying to melt the oil before use is not required. (Or maybe I’m too lazy? Ha ha) It seems my body heat is plenty warm to melt a small chunk and spread around easily. So I bypass the melting step when using as a moisturizer.

I use coconut oil, arrowroot and baking soda to make a fantastic deodorant. (Next batch I will make a video of the recipe and post on my blog) very easy to make and use.

Also if you spread it on your face at the end of the day, then use a warm wet cloth to wipe majority of it off, it is a fabulous make up remover, leaving behind a nice night time moisturizer, not to oily, just soft and supple to soak in while you sleep.

• Leah Stewart October 30, 2013 at 3:02 pm #

Mama Lou,

Yep, the simpler way is to just run it in it’s solid form and let it melt with your body heat. But, if some want it in liquid form, the melting technique is nice :-)

Awesome deodorant recipe, too! I’ve been wanting to share mine on the blog as well, it’s so fun to spread the word that natural products are great!!

Thanks for sharing your tips, love them!!

16. Cathy October 20, 2013 at 3:40 pm #

I read that if you mix 1 part olive oil and 3 parts coconut oil is the perfect moisturizer for the face and body. Have you read or heard anything on this?

• Leah Stewart October 30, 2013 at 3:03 pm #

Cathy,

This combination of olive and coconut oil can work as a moisturizer and cleanser for many – it’s completely individual.

• Jo May 31, 2014 at 5:19 pm #

Leah,
        How do you use the combo of coconut oil/olive oil/castor oil as both a cleanser and moisturizer? Is it one application to clean, rinse and wipe off, or do you just rub it on once and leave it?

• Jo July 5, 2014 at 5:39 pm #

Leah,
          Some brands use the term “fresh-pressed” and others “expeller-pressed.” Is there a difference? I haven’t run across “cold-pressed.”
          At the moment I’m using Dr. Bronner’s fresh-pressed whole kernel, primarily as a moisturizer. Do you recommend it over Bronner’s white kernel? I’m getting a sand-like grit in the last ⅓ of the jar. It disappears once applied to the skin. Do you think it has anything to do with storage temp? I keep it at room temperature.

• Leah Stewart July 15, 2014 at 10:58 am #

Hi Jo! Great questions, I want to refer you to a great FAQ page on the Tropical Traditions website, I hope you get you questions answered there: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/faq.htm Please let me know if you need anything else ;-) Have a great day!

17. Julia October 25, 2013 at 7:14 pm #

I have been using Jared coconut oil twice a day as a face moisturizer for over a year now. Really helped with my breakouts! I found this thread becuause we are having another baby in December and was looking to see if it was a good moisturizer for baby skin. Can’t wait to try it on LO. Also, been lathering up the bump and previous stretch marks with coconut oil after showers and it have not felt ANY itchy skin this pregnancy and no new stretch marks! Wish I had known about this last time around. Saving soooo much money with ONE simple pure product. No more pricey face lotions, stretch mark creams or baby lotions that contain chemicals. Win win.

• Leah Stewart October 30, 2013 at 3:07 pm #

Julia,

I have an 8-week old and I love using coconut oil on his little body. Yes, it’s amazing for pregnant bellies, too. I was very consistent with using it through both pregnancies :-)

18. Karalie October 30, 2013 at 2:57 pm #

I love coconut oil. We have been using it for years in our house from cooking, baking and skin care. Once you get into using it for everything, Costco has a great price on a large jar and it is the best I’ve found! (I believe it’s Nutiva brand.) Something I love to do once a week is use a tsp or so of melted coconut oil and a pinch of baking soda and gently massage my face, then use a warm washcloth to wipe the mixture off. It makes a great exfoliating facial!

• Leah Stewart October 30, 2013 at 3:08 pm #

Karalie,

Awesome facial scrub recipe!!!

19. MacKenzie November 11, 2013 at 4:19 am #

One part melted coconut oil, two parts cane sugar makes a wonderful sugar scrub. I scrub it into my legs and arms after shaving, then run my razor back over the area again. Removes so much dead skin and reduces razor burn and ingrown hairs!

• Leah Stewart December 1, 2013 at 8:53 am #

MacKenzie,

Great suggestion! Thanks!

20. PamCT November 14, 2013 at 5:00 am #

I’ve been using it on my hair and nails. Can’t wait to start using it as a moisturizer on the rest of my body and face. I need to buy another jar just for consumption. Great ideas from the ladies. Thanks.

21. Leiana November 28, 2013 at 12:02 am #

I love coconut oil I haven’t tried as a facial moisturizer yet. I do use it as a facial and body scrub. Cocnut oil, brown sugar and lemon zest. The best scrub I have ever used.

22. AZ Trigirl December 5, 2013 at 12:24 pm #

I have been using coconut oil for about 6 months as a moisturizer – I mix it with a dab of rosewater and frankensense oil – I have noticed that my skin has become much firmer and seems to have more elasticity – I am a very active gal in my 40 but my skin seems to become younger — I have stopped using any chemicals or commercial lotions on my body and I am surprised how much better I feel over all –
    My face gets argan oil blended with frankensense at day time and coconut oil in the evening .. AMAZING!… I can’t say enough about that stuff — my daughter has been using it as well and she loves it in her hair — she leaves it in over night and her strawberry blond hair is just so healthy looking.

I purchase my oil at our Asian Supermarket here in the greater Phoenix area and the price is just fantastic a third of what I would pay in the health food store and yes, it is virgin and untreated…. a big bottle 500 ml goes for about 4.80 which is unheard of …

I have been using coconut oil for cooking but I have not tried the scoop in my coffee or tea — that will be my next try with this wonderful oil

23. Crissy December 16, 2013 at 4:40 am #

i was worried with my brother skin asthma and the affected part is the sole of feet then i searched something about medications and treatment for this. my brother’s feet got scaly and the skin was so dry that it cause cut at some part and then i found out the benefit of virgin coconut oil i tried applying it to my brother’s feet and it amazingly moisturized his feet and now he has to religiously apply it everyday to avoid it from drying up being scaly and to avoid cuts.

i really like eye makeup using mascara and eyeliner is it safe for the eyes?

• Leah Stewart January 17, 2014 at 2:00 pm #

Crissy,

I am so glad to hear that you and your brother have had great success with coconut oil for his feet.

There are many that feel comfortable with using coconut oil as a natural eye makeup remover, but there is some debate and concern that if too much oil is in contact with the eyes repeatedly it may contribute to problems like cataracts. I feel that this warrants some deeper research. But in saying that, a little oil goes a long way, so not much needs to be used when removing makeup and like lashes should be wiped very lightly.

24. Deina January 2, 2014 at 7:09 pm #

I think I’m going to start using coconut oil on my body and hands after shower, because my skin is so dry, but how long should you leave it on your skin before you wash it off?

Does it really have to be unrefined coconut oil? because I can’t find it in any store :/

• Leah Stewart January 17, 2014 at 1:51 pm #

Deina,

YOu do not need to wash it off, use as a lotion and it’ll absorb into your skin and leave it feeling wonderful. The initial greasy feeling will go away.

Try to use unrefined and cold-pressed coconut oil, and organic if you can as your skin is absorbing it and it going into your blood stream. If you cannot find any in a store try Tropical Traditions, their oil is fantastic!

• Jo July 3, 2014 at 7:21 pm #

Leah,

25. Kirsty January 3, 2014 at 9:01 am #

9 times out of 10 its not what you put on your face that gives you acne, its whats happening inside…. ive just discovered coconut oil and I love it! I eat it and use as a moisturiser and my skins better with a week

AND im a long term acne sufferer!

• Leah Stewart January 17, 2014 at 1:54 pm #

Kirsty,

I completely agree with you; a good diet is essential to healthy skin. And yes, eating coconut oil is wonderful as well – it’s great in smoothies, which I’m sure you know. And it is a wonderful oil to cook with.

26. Catherine January 5, 2014 at 6:10 am #

I have been using cocnut oil for nearly 6 months now. At first I was only using it on my hands after washed then on my feet. My feel gets quiet dry and rough due to wearing heels almost everyday. It leaves my skin soft and smooth to touch. My skin absorb it very quick and you can re apply with no worries about the nasty chemicals. I just love it!

The only thing is that it leaves my skin looking more darker which is I love. I found if you apply it during the day and its a summer season sure you will get a darker complexion which is great for some but if you have a dark skin already, try avoiding the sun too much. Overall you can overdose yourself on this product and and only gives you awesome looking skin.

• Leah Stewart January 17, 2014 at 1:49 pm #

Catherine,

I am happy that you have had great results from using coconut oil. Yes, it also can have the effects of a sun tan or darkening lotion. I too have noticed that over the years, and I love it!

27. StephanieB January 10, 2014 at 6:04 pm #

Where can it be purchased ?
    & should it help me with my dry skin ?

• Leah Stewart January 17, 2014 at 1:40 pm #

Stephanie,

A few brands that I really like are:

1. Dr Bonners
      2. Tropical Traditions
      3. Aunt Patty’s

Dr Bonners and Aunt Patty you can find at most health food stores. Tropical Traditions you can purchase online.

28. lori gutche February 1, 2014 at 5:49 pm #

where can I get cocoanut oil

• Leah Stewart February 11, 2014 at 2:37 pm #

Lori,

You can find unrefined, cold-pressed coconut oil at any health food store. My favorite store brands are Dr Bonner’s and Aunt Patty’s.

For the past year I’ve been using Tropical Traditions coconut oil and it’s fantastic. You can purchase online at their website:http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/virgin_coconut_oil.htm

Please let me know if you have any questions.

29. Janice February 13, 2014 at 5:23 am #

Just recently discovered the wonderful benefits of Coconut Oil as a moisturizer and also for cooking.
    I also read where it is excellent for your pets, both as a supplement to their diest and as a conditioner for their skin.
    I am using it daily now for both myself and my dogs.
    I have a Yorkie and his hair has become silkier since I started giving it to him as a treat once a day.
    Love this stuff.

30. Janice February 13, 2014 at 5:24 am #

I also read where it is excellent for your pets, both as a supplement to their diet and as a conditioner for their skin.
    I am using it daily now for both myself and my dogs.
    Love this stuff.

• Leah Stewart February 18, 2014 at 1:10 pm #

Jo – Absolutely! It is great for pets, too!! And of course, cooking with it is divine :-)

31. Jo February 15, 2014 at 3:27 pm #

I live in a drought area and showers are very short. I don’t run water in the sink long enough to get hot enough for melting. I’ve been melting the oil in the microwave. Is this OK or does it destroy properties?

• Leah Stewart February 18, 2014 at 1:09 pm #

Jo – microwaving the coconut oil will alter it’s properties for sure, try to avoid it if you can. Another option for you would be to take small amounts if coconut oil and as you rub it onto your skin your natural body heat will melt the oil as you rub. I do this when I forget to soften or melt the oil in the shower or sink. It’s a less “luxurious” option, but it works well for some. Let me know what you think :-)

• Jo February 23, 2014 at 7:44 pm #

Thanks, Leah. I may also try microwaving a small amount of water in a small container, then when hot, nest a smaller jar with the coconut oil in it.

• Leah Stewart March 17, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

Jo – Great idea!!

32. Dave Cartlidge February 18, 2014 at 12:46 pm #

I had to have today day off work due to a very bad facial eczema flare-up, due to experimenting with a different cream. I usually use Aveeno which has been safe for years but now seems to be starting to react. I risked using Aqueous cream but one without SLS in it, it seemed ok at first then the next morning I was red and sore, I was stupid in not just doing part of my face for longer. It seems that I am hypersensitive to most facial emollients, so spent hours looking for something simple and natural and started reading up on coconut oil. I managed to get some from Sainsburys today, Lucy Bees, Extra Virgin Fair Trade Organic Coconut Oil, cold pressed for £6. I am trying it on my forehead only for a couple of days to see how it goes, so far no adverse effects… fingers crossed, if this reacts I don’t know what to use! Regarding pore clogging, surely it can’t be as bad as the greasy horrible creams and ointments that Doctors give you, surely most moisturisers will block pores as they cover you skin? I react to most creams but none have given me acne.

• Leah Stewart February 18, 2014 at 1:11 pm #

Dave – I do hope that the coconut oil helps with your eczema, I would love to hear about your results :-) Thanks for sharing.

• Cathy February 22, 2014 at 6:39 am #

Awww Dave! This breaks my heart!! I really hope it does wonders for you, please let me know what happens!! :)

33. Sharon February 21, 2014 at 1:20 pm #

I have been using coconut for cooking and every morning in my coffee! I have just started using it as an all over body moisturizer and am loving the effects.

• Leah Stewart March 17, 2014 at 6:06 pm #

Sharon – I like it in my coffee and tea, too!!

34. Jamie March 3, 2014 at 5:50 pm #

I just found out that you can whip coconut oil, it makes it creamy and easy to apply, no need to scrape it out anymore!!

• Leah Stewart March 17, 2014 at 6:05 pm #

Jamie – I’ve always wanted to try to whip my coconut oil – you’ve given me the inspiration to try :-) Thanks!!

35. Tamara Short March 5, 2014 at 9:29 am #

I only have organic refined coconut oil…can I still use this as a moisturizer for my face or does it have to be unrefined? Thanks!

• Leah Stewart March 17, 2014 at 6:05 pm #

Tamara – You could, but unrefined is always best.

36. Stace March 10, 2014 at 2:02 am #

Thanks for this :)
    I found your article while looking for “palm oil free” moisturiser.
    Score!

• Leah Stewart March 17, 2014 at 6:03 pm #

Stace – Awesome!!!

37. susan March 11, 2014 at 3:20 am #

Great as a shaving cream. Smooth skin and no razor burn.

• Leah Stewart March 17, 2014 at 6:02 pm #

Susan – love!! The perfect sharing cream!

38. Patti March 14, 2014 at 7:43 pm #

I had read to put a teaspoon or two in your mouth and swish it and pull it through your teeth for about 20 minutes. Then spit it out. It pulls toxins out of your body and takes care of bad breath. I don’t have the post I read it from but people commented that they had been doing it for years and never even brushed their teeth anymore. Other people said they no longer had bad breath. Interesting. Also, I have found that the coconut oil does keep my pores cleaner. I was curious if other people used it for that and that is how I found this site! I have also used Apple Cider Vinegar and it has a LOT of great advantages. One is that if you put it on age spots they are diminished. Love natural stuff that God gave us!

• Leah Stewart March 17, 2014 at 5:57 pm #

Patti – yes, oil pulling is fantastic. I’ve been doing it for year, although I still choose to brush my teeth in addition to ;-) ACV is awesome! I have another blog post about some uses for it too :-)

39. Nikki April 1, 2014 at 6:04 pm #

Hey everyone!
    As for applying, I totally recommend whipping the coconut oil to give it a body butter like texture. It will stay whipped at room temperature and can easily be applied. It’s definitely less drippy in this form too!
    All you have to do is whip the cold coconut oil with a hand blender or a food processor for about five minutes. You’ll know it’s whipped when it turns a slightly lighter colour.
    I can only seem to find the in scented version of coconut oil in stores, so what I like to do is for every 1 cup of oil I whip up I add 15-20 drops of essential oils in. Smells great :)

Just remember that it has to be cold when you whip it, or it won’t whip!

• Leah Stewart April 1, 2014 at 8:39 pm #

Nikki – Thank you so much for giving us great directions on whipping coconut oil :-)

40. Jeremiah April 3, 2014 at 6:25 pm #

Every night, after I shower, I apply coconut oil scented with ylang-ylang all over my body. Whenever my cousins hang out with me, they all say that I smell so good! The elegant aroma is very relaxing when I go to sleep and when I wake up the following day, my skin remains moisturized even AFTER I shower .^_^. Such a great product–much better than chemical formulations .^_^.

41. Jordan Weaver April 8, 2014 at 7:58 pm #

Thank y’all so much for information on this thread, I’ve been using vasoline for men because the majority of my gets really dry in the winter so bad that in interferes with my dating life because it’s really embarrassing having flaky dry skin on my arms and legs but I can’t wait to try coconut oil! Hopefully this will end my winter hibernating !

• Leah Stewart April 21, 2014 at 1:03 pm #

Jordan – I hope it does work for you as well! I’ve always lived in Southern California, so I cannot speak to battling dry winter skin, but when we’ve had dry, windy weather – coconut oil is a lifesaver as well ;-) Another point you can look into and be aware of, if I may bring it to your attention, is to suggest that you are eating hydrating foods as well. All the best.

42. Rea April 21, 2014 at 4:04 am #

Hello, It is my first time to use virgin coconut oil. Can I ask if it is effective to pimples and redmarks?
    thanks :)

• Leah Stewart April 21, 2014 at 12:49 pm #

Hi Rea! Oh, I do hope that you enjoy using coconut oil as a skin moisturizer. As far as it’s effectiveness on pimples and redmarks, you will find opposing experiences and opinions. It really depends on so many subjective and personal factors for you individually that will determine how your skin (particularly facial skin) reacts to the oil. I have found great success personally, but I first used it strictly as a body moisturizer and slowly began to experiment with using it on my face. For me, my skin just drank it up and loved the hydration. Each person’s experience can be so different. I would recommend you start slowly and judicially and see how your skin begins to react. And lastly, just a friendly reminder, skin is very much effected by what we eat as well – have you had a chance to look and/or try some of my smoothie and other raw food recipes? Thanks for commenting, and please let me know if you have any other questions, and keep me posted on how using coconut oil is working for you ;-) All the best!

43. cindy April 21, 2014 at 5:28 am #

After reading about how wonderful Coconut Oil is, I purchased a small jar. I’m not sure I bought the right kind. Its by Now Solutions and its says on the jar that its 100% natural. When I opened up the jar, there is no scent. The reviews that I’ve read about mentions the wonderful scent. It doesn’t even say if its fresh pressed, unrefined or virgin. Will the Now Solutions Coconut Oil work just as well? It says on the jar for hair and skin/revitalizing.

• Leah Stewart April 21, 2014 at 12:44 pm #

Hi Cindy! I have not tried the NOW brand. In my experience the amount of “coconut-y” scent really depends on the quality of the oil, how it was processed, etc. I’ve found that the high quality oils I use have a lovely coconut scent, not too overwhelming, but very soft and natural. It is best to purchase fresh-pressed, unrefined and virgin coconut oil as the product is less adulterated, and for cosmetic or culinary use, that is always good. I cannot say if the NOW brand will work just as well, as I have not tried it. But, I do recommend Dr. Bronner’s (you should be able to find in most health food stores) and Tropical Traditions (you can purchase online – it’s amazing oil) – they are both great oils. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

44. Rea April 27, 2014 at 4:22 am #

Hello, again ms. leah :) Based on my readings ( http://coconutoil.com/virgin-coconut-oil-for-skin-health/ ) on that website, Virgin coconut oil was so good for pimples and acne, so I hope that VCO is good too on my face. I will update you for the results after 2 weeks. Thank you so much ms. Leah. :)

• Leah Stewart May 2, 2014 at 9:38 am #

Yes, please do, Rea! The more people can share their experiences with coconut oil here, the better. ;-)

45. Rea April 27, 2014 at 4:40 am #

Ms. Leah, this are the process that I used to followed,
    All you need to do is fill a sink a couple of inches deep with warm water. Set your EVCO container in the warm water and let it set for at least 3 minutes. When it has warmed, you will be able to pour the oil out of the jar. For sanitary reasons, it’s a good idea to have 2 different jars; one for cooking and one for topical use.

Pour the liquid oil into your hands and apply liberally anywhere you want to moisturize your skin.

• Leah Stewart May 2, 2014 at 9:40 am #

Rea – Yes, this is the process I follow (most of the time as well) to melt the coconut oil. Yes, two different jars of coconut oil – one for culinary use and one for cosmetic use – is a must! Glad you are having fun using the coconut oil.

46. Meg April 28, 2014 at 9:30 pm #

I just found this link and read every comment! It’s exciting to see how many people use and love coconut oil. I was given coconut oil by a friend who said it works great for mosturizing hair…I haven’t used it enough to see a difference yet, I often forget I have it. I did just recently start using as a skin moisturizer and I love it!!! Tonight is the first time I used it on my face. I look forward to seeing how it works for my hair and skin. Great post- thanks for sharing!

• Leah Stewart May 2, 2014 at 9:37 am #

Meg – How’d you like it as a facial moisturizer? It may a little getting use to.

For hair, the night before I know I’m washing my hair, I take some melted coconut oil and put it all over the bottom quarter of my hair down to the ends (my hair is long, if you have short hair, maybe just focus on the ends). I then put my hair up in a bun to sleep and wash it out in the morning. This has saved my blonde, fine hair from becoming broken with split ends.

47. nora emam May 1, 2014 at 1:47 pm #

I have used cocoanut oil for past year and I see a great difference in my face , wrinkle are fewer and I am 60 years old

• Leah Stewart May 2, 2014 at 9:33 am #

Nora – Awesome!! My mom has been using coconut oil (she’s 61) and says the same thing ;-)

48. Rea May 4, 2014 at 4:50 am #

thankyou ms. leah! :) I will update you after 2 weeks. hmm. I can say that Virgin coconut oil is good so far coz my acne get rid for little.

49. Rea May 6, 2014 at 2:13 am #

ms. leah can i get ur email address for more question. thankyou!:) Im waiting for your anwer.

50. Carole May 7, 2014 at 4:28 am #

I have used coconut oil for around 8 months now. Really like how it has helped my skin, especially on my arms. (I’m 66 & live in Florida) However, when it tried it on my face, I started getting zits. I decided not to use for my face.
    I was careful to purchase organic oil & I always apply before drying. After I have applied all I then lightly towel off excess.

51. Gabriela May 11, 2014 at 6:41 pm #

Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and
    wanted to say that I have truly enjoyed browsing your
    blog posts. After all I will be subscribing to your rss feed and I hope you write again very soon!

52. janey May 14, 2014 at 10:45 am #

Hi Leah,
    I just made coconut oil myself without adding anything and am so scared to use it. Though I love the smell. I want to know if it’s good for oily face like mine? I don’t get it when I hear people say part 1 coconut oil and part 2 olive oil etc. Then, is there olive oil for cooking and olive oil for body or is it the same? Please clarify me on that. Thanks.

• Leah Stewart May 21, 2014 at 11:24 am #

Janey,

Completely understandable to be wary of putting oil on your face, it seems counter intuitive, right? I am not an esthetician, so giving you skin advise is out of my scope of practice, but I can offer a short explanation as to why some experience success with using oil for cleansing or moisturizing. Many times when we use facial cleansers that are full of chemicals or are not correct for our skin type, it strips the face of its natural oils. When this happens, the oil glands, the sebaceous glands, produce more and more oil to try and compensate for this loss – in some creating over oily skin, which can become clogged and inflamed, which is a big cause of acne. When this happens we use more products that will “dry” out the oiliness, and the vicious cycle continues.

The belief about using oil on the face is that it will re-balance the sebaceous glands oil production, which will, in turn, balance out the skin as a whole. I personally have found a lot of success with using oil moisturizing and cleansing for my acne and overall skin health. Of course, healthy skin also has to do with diet, lifestyle choices and stress management as well. I this brief explanation helped a bit.

No difference between the olive oil for skin care or cooking. I would highly suggest you use organic, cold-pressed extra-virgin olive oil for your skin care.

Thank you!

53. paula May 15, 2014 at 8:37 pm #

Love it on my feet ♥

54. Leslie DeMerville May 16, 2014 at 6:37 am #

I really enjoyed your blog about coconut oil. Just happened to get a groupon and ordered it. Loving the skin and hair results.
    My question: where do you suggest buying CO in larger quantities?
    Thank you.

• Leah Stewart May 21, 2014 at 11:07 am #

Leslie,

Thank you for reading the blog post – I’m so happy that you enjoyed it!

I would recommend purchasing coconut oil from Tropical Traditions. They sell in bulk and it’s very nice oil. http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/

55. Jo June 2, 2014 at 9:03 pm #

Leah,
    How do you use the combo of coconut oil/olive oil/castor oil as both a cleanser and moisturizer? Is it one application to clean, rinse and wipe off, and a second to moisturize, or do you just rub it on once and leave it?

• Leah Stewart June 3, 2014 at 2:35 pm #

Jo – The combination of coconut oil, olive oil and castor oil is an oil cleanser not moisturizer (which is does in the cleansing process). On a dry face you gently rub the oil mixture in small circles on the face for a couple of minutes. Then with a warm, damp wash cloth, you gently wipe it off. Some people do not need additional moisturizer after oil cleansing and some do. I hope this helps a bit.

• Jo June 3, 2014 at 6:53 pm #

Leah,
        Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks very much.

56. Danielle June 19, 2014 at 5:36 am #

I just started using coconut oil as a moisturizer. I seem to be reading great for under eyes. Is it ok to use on eyelids? I’m doing it twice a day? Thanks so much!

• Leah Stewart July 15, 2014 at 11:08 am #

Danielle,

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the coconut oil as a moisturizer. Many women report great success with using coconut oil as a gentle makeup remover. However, I have been told that getting too much coconut oil in the eye (perhaps inadvertently from removing makeup) can be problematic, I personally have not done much research on this or have stumbled across that information myself, but I do feel that it may warrant some investigation. If you come across any information, please let me know.

57. Rihanna July 16, 2014 at 8:25 pm #

Please can I mix my coconut oil and olive oil and castor oil together and use on my skin as a daily moisturiser?

• Leah Stewart July 22, 2014 at 10:30 am #

Rihanna,

You won’t know until you try it. But, it depends on your skin type as well. Castor oil is a bit astringent and for some it can be drying, so I would recommend using a small amount at first and seeing how your skin reacts.

All the best!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Coconut Oil Chocolate Chip Cookies | The Domestic Blonde - March 19, 2014

[...] heard of it, let alone cooked with it. Now It’s everywhere I turn. It’s in your wok, on your skin, or on your toothbrush. And many other places in [...]